David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls

Phyllis lin

Chinese
Hi, all, I saw "David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls" on a website. But I can't understand it well. What does it mean? Is it grammatically correct?
The following is the description of this section. Hope it can do some help for your understanding. Thanks in advance.

David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls
David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls section selects classic Bible stories, such as David defeating Goliath by relying on God, David’s rebuilding of Jerusalem’s walls to help Christians know what kind of person is after God’s will.

• heypresto

English - England
    I'm guessing it means something like '(Some stories covering the time from) 'David and Saul' to (the) 'rebuilding of Jerusalem's walls'.

'David and Saul' is the first story, and 'The Rebuilding of Jerusalem's Walls' is the last story.

But this is just a guess. I'm guessing this wasn't written by a native speaker.

Phyllis lin

Chinese
    oh, I think so. I'm not familiar with the Bible. It is a little hard for me to understand. But I think your saying "it means something like '(Some stories covering the time from) 'David and Saul' to (the) 'rebuilding of Jerusalem's walls'" make sense. If so, how will a native speaker express it?
    I'm guessing it means something like '(Some stories covering the time from) 'David and Saul' to (the) 'rebuilding of Jerusalem's walls'.

'David and Saul' is the first story, and 'The Rebuilding of Jerusalem's Walls' is the last story.

But this is just a guess. I'm guessing this wasn't written by a native speaker.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I agree with heypresto's understanding of what it means, but the writer appears to be confused, as well as writing in poor English. David didn't rebuild Jerusalem's walls; this happened after the Babylonian captivity, about 500 years after David, and is described in the book of Nehemiah. Furthermore, the walls weren't rebuilt "to help Christians know what kind of person is after God’s will", which is what the sentence says.

As a title, "David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls" is okay, but I would have added "from" before "David" and "the" before "Rebuilding" to make it clearer. It describes a period of time, although it doesn't tell you what the contents are; you only learn it contains Bible stories fro the first paragraph.

Phyllis lin

Chinese
    I agree with heypresto's understanding of what it means, but the writer appears to be confused, as well as writing in poor English. David didn't rebuild Jerusalem's walls; this happened after the Babylonian captivity, about 500 years after David, and is described in the book of Nehemiah. Furthermore, the walls weren't rebuilt "to help Christians know what kind of person is after God’s will", which is what the sentence says.

As a title, "David and Saul to Rebuilding of Jerusalem’s Walls" is okay, but I would have added "from" before "David" and "the" before "Rebuilding" to make it clearer. It describes a period of time, although it doesn't tell you what the contents are; you only learn it contains Bible stories fro the first paragraph.
    I got it. Many thanks!

< Previous | Next >