Davis appeared in numerous major films but practically.... (multiple choice)

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
Hello,
Below is a multiple choice question from a university test. The answer key says the correct choice is #4. I think none of the choices is correct and choice #4 would be correct only if it read 'none of them were/was great ones'. Any help would be appreciated.
Davis appeared in numerous major films but practically .......... .
1)none of them great ones
2)not ones that great
3)nothing as great ones
4)no great ones

• Barque

Tamil
    Option 4 is fine. Your rewording would be correct too with "were". I think option 1 could work too, informally at least.

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
    Option 4 is fine. Your rewording would be correct too with "were". I think option 1 could work too, informally at least.
    Thank you. Would you provide an example sentence using such a structure 'no+adjective+ones'. Why there's no verb in it?

Barque

Tamil
    Would you provide an example sentence using such a structure 'no+adjective+ones'.
    I just googled "but no great ones". Here's one of the results: There are a lot of good players, they say, but no great ones.
    NO. 1 PICK FOR BULLS: PRICELESS OR PRIZELESS?
    Why there's no verb in it?
    The correct construction is Why's there no verb in it? or Why isn't there a verb in it?
    The verb "appeared" in the first clause applies to this clause too.
    Davis appeared in numerous major films but [appeared in] practically no great ones.

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
    The correct construction is Why's there no verb in it? or Why isn't there a verb in it?
    The verb "appeared" in the first clause applies to this clause too.
    Davis appeared in numerous major films but [appeared in] practically no great ones.
    Thanks for the correction and explanation.:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >