Dawn Hues in the Transquility Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
(Enjoying)Dawn Hues/Scenes in Trahquility Field
(Taking in) Dawn Scenes of Tranquility Field

There is a small field at a corner on our campus, and it's serene, tranquil when dawn breaks. Which of the above sounds better to you? If neither, would you suggest one? Thanks.

• Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    If you want the viewer to notice the colors in the photographs (I assume these are captions of some sort), use the 'dawn hues' version.

If you want the viewer to notice the overall effect of the images, use the 'dawn scenes' version.

The difference between 'taking in' and 'enjoying' is pure personal preference; I like 'taking in,' because it reminds me of the big inhale-breath that one oftens takes when one sees a beautiful vista.

Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    So I was correct that they are photo captions?

It's a very minor difference, and one of style only.

I would choose 'dawn hues of Tranquility Field,' if I wanted to highlight that the hues belong to the field, and if I wanted to make the reader pay attention to the beauties of the field. I would be saying something that could be paraphrased, "These are the hues of this field, when it is bathed in the dawn's light."

I would choose 'dawn hues in Tranquility Field' if I wanted to remind the reader, ever so slightly, that the dawn hues are transient: I would be saying something that could be paraphrased, "These are the hues of the dawn, when dawn visits this field."

Again, it's a very subtle, very minor difference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >