day job

Sheriff

USA English & Spanish
Hi!

I need to translate "day job" like it is used in the US. The term "day job" is specific to those who hold the position solely to pay their living expenses while working on the job (their "other" job) they intend to eventually move over to entirely.

I am not sure if "trabajo diurno" would mean all that or if there is another way to say it better.

Thanks for any help

• Kevyn_Arnold

Banned
    Spanish-Colombia
    Sheriff said:
    Hi!

I need to translate "day job" like it is used in the US. The term "day job" is specific to those who hold the position solely to pay their living expenses while working on the job (their "other" job) they intend to eventually move over to entirely.

I am not sure if "trabajo diurno" would mean all that or if there is another way to say it better.

Thanks for any help
    Is it a kind of temporary job; for example, you are a certified translator, but you work as an english teacher until you find a translator positon, am I right??

Txiri

USA English
    It´s really slangy, that use of it, Sheriff. I remember Jada Pinkett using it, "keep your day job", in a film with Keenon Ivory Wayans, and only remember it, because the film clip was used to advertise the movie ... perhaps another idea, besides those that have already been suggested, might be, "trabajo oficial"-- but I don´t think any one single modifier is going to capture a concept

Soy Yo

USA
    EEUU - inglés
    Yeah, I thought "day job" implied your main job. The job you do during the day and on which you depend for your main income. It implies that you do something else at night...to supplement your income. I could be wrong.

Don't quit your day job! (Because you aren't very good at whatever else you are doing.)

Kevyn_Arnold

Banned
    Spanish-Colombia
    Sheriff said:
    Hi!

I am confused, "day job" is specific to those who hold the position solely to pay their living expenses while.... doesn't the world solely mean that that job is not the "main job"?? That is, that you have that job only because you need money to pay the bill, and not because it is you career or prefession.

Txiri

USA English
    Imagine you´re a musician. It´s very difficult to earn a living as a musician, at least at first. Or a hopeful actor. So during the day, you hold down a job that "pays the rent" and other expenses, while at night, you pursue your dream, possibly with the hope that one day, you´ll get a break, you´ll meet someone over the course of time that is impressed with your skill, talent, so that the night job comes eventually to replace the day job. You can dedicate yourself exclusively to your dream job.

"those who hold the position solely to pay their living expenses ...." solely, there, means "only"-- the only reason to have the job is xxxx

Kevyn_Arnold

Banned
    Spanish-Colombia
    Txiri said:
    Imagine you´re a musician. It´s very difficult to earn a living as a musician, at least at first. Or a hopeful actor. So during the day, you hold down a job that "pays the rent" and other expenses, while at night, you pursue your dream, possibly with the hope that one day, you´ll get a break, you´ll meet someone over the course of time that is impressed with your skill, talent, so that the night job comes eventually to replace the day job. You can dedicate yourself exclusively to your dream job.

"those who hold the position solely to pay their living expenses ...." solely, there, means "only"-- the only reason to have the job is xxxx
    Ok, so...main or official job, etc, etc, is not necessarily your profession or career, but is what you do for a living. I got it.
    Thanks a lot

Senordineroman

USA English - Midwest
    Mario Vargas Llosa uses the term "trabajo alimenticio" a lot in his writings and his interviews. On p.o.. 222-223 of "El Pez En El Agua" he sus, "Él pensaba que la Abogacía podía permitirme conciliar la vocación literaria y un trabajo alimenticio"

This used by anyone else?