day-to-night inspired

< Previous | Next >

lala77

French
Hello,

I have some troubles with this sentence:

"Meticulously balancing performance innovation and progressive design, the new black-and-white, day-to-night inspired LunarGlide 6 features a lighter, more responsive Lunarlon foam."

It deals with shoemaking. The "day-to-night" is unclear to me.
Thank you for your help :)

• ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, Lala:)
    day-to-night inspired = 'black-and-white'.
    Beware of promotional writing: it's (very) often shallow, empty, meaningless, repetitive, etc.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This may also refer to the historic trend for sports clothes to become standard daytime wear, and subsequently evening wear. For instance, the modern dinner jacket (tuxedo) is ultimately derived from a 19th-century riding jacket.

So perhaps the makers of these Nike running shoes see them as daywear (as no doubt their purchasers do) and want to encourage the wearing of them in the evening too??? My usual nightclub has higher standards, and would refuse them.

lala77

French
    Welcome to the forum, Lala:)
    day-to-night inspired = 'black-and-white'.
    Beware of promotional writing: it's (very) often shallow, empty, meaningless, repetitive, etc.
    Thank you :)
    That's what I thought, but there already is "black and white" before, so it would be a useless repetition, right?

This may also refer to the historic trend for sports clothes to become standard daytime wear, and subsequently evening wear. For instance, the modern dinner jacket (tuxedo) is ultimately derived from a 19th-century riding jacket.

So perhaps the makers of these Nike running shoes see them as daywear (as no doubt their purchasers do) and want to encourage the wearing of them in the evening too??? My usual nightclub has higher standards, and would refuse them.
    That's interesting! I don't see how to transcribe this idea into French though (I translating into French) :)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You've clearly not read the fashion magazines that I have, where women are told how to transform their office clothes into evening fashion by a nifty change of tights and a different lipstick!

But I agree with you: this copywriter falls into the "shallow, empty, meaningless, repetitive, etc." category and I'm not going to put my hand into the fire over any interpretation..

lala77

French
    Yes you're right, I'll try the English to French forum (sorry for the disturbance!)
    And thank you for having answered me to the both of you :)

< Previous | Next >