daze-days

< Previous | Next >
  • VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Tengo una duda MUY TONTA.
    ¡No digas eso, Henrik! ¡Tus preguntas no son stupidas nunca!

Vamos a ver tu pregunta...
    Henrik Larsson said:
    ¿Se pronuncian igual daze y days? Me apuesto lo que sea a que sí, pero quiero asegurarme.
    Sí, se pronuncian igual para mi.

Days - haze - craze - laze - stays .... todos iguales

¡Espero haberte ayudado! :)

Pedro P. Calvo Morcillo

España, español.
    Henrik Larsson said:
    Tengo una duda MUY TONTA. ¿Se pronuncian igual daze y days? Me apuesto lo que sea a que sí, pero quiero asegurarme.

SALU2
    Creo que existe una sutil diferencia... sus fonéticas son: days [deIs] y daze [deIz]. El fonema [z] es el que se emplea, por ejemplo en zoo [zu:].

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Pedro P. Calvo Morcillo said:
    Creo que existe una sutil diferencia... sus fonéticas son: days [deIs] y daze [deIz]. El fonema [z] es el que se emplea, por ejemplo en zoo [zu:].
    Podría ser en algunos dialectos. Pero, yo los pronuncio completamente iguales.

clipper

England´s english
    Hola Henrik,

Me da verguenza (siendo inglés) pero si. Word y whirred son iguales de pronunciación... si quieres distinguir (aunque no hace falta) se puede pronunciar un poco la "h" de whirred, que hace el sonido de la "w" un poco mas largo y menos duro...

Clipper

clipper

England´s english
    No ! (Although I may be wrong in my native language) Rouse is pronounced "roose" (or rooze !) but rows (arguments) is pronounced more with the "a" sound...

Thank the powers that be that I don´t have to learn English ! Although I am of course open to correction.

Clipper

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Henrik Larsson said:
    And do rouse & rows have the same pronunciation too? -When rouse means to quarrel-
    For me, they sound different.
    clipper said:
    Rouse is pronounced "roose" (or rooze !) but rows (arguments) is pronounced more with the "a" sound...
    However, I pronounce them differently than Clipper, apparently.

I pronounce rows like r-oh-z
    I pronounce rouse like r-ow-z

I hope this is clear!

clipper

England´s english
    Venus

R-oh-s for rows is from the verb to row (a boat), Henrik specified that he meant to row (to argue).

I agree that in the US, Rouse is pronounced that way too but surely when a couple row (argue) you don´t use the same pronunciation as if the same couple row a boat ? Or do you ? (Genuine question, I would like to know!)

Clipper

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    clipper said:
    R-oh-s for rows is from the verb to row (a boat), Henrik specified that he meant to row (to argue).
    Ahh, I see now.
    To be honest, I didn't know of "row" meaning argue, hence, I have never used it.

::tail between legs, scurries out::

Clipper said:
    I agree that in the US, Rouse is pronounced that way too but surely when a couple row (argue) you don´t use the same pronunciation as if the same couple row a boat ? Or do you ? (Genuine question, I would like to know!)
    Well, I suppose not now. The pronounciation guides that I've seen on the web pronounce "row" as the way that was mentioned.

On this topic, I'm not a very credible source, as I've never used "row" to mean argue... :eek:

BasedowLives

uSa
    rouse has two definitions and two different pronunciations

you can rouse suspicion <--[raoz (with spanish phonetics)]
    or you can set up a cunning rouse [(ruz also with spanish phonetics)]

clipper

England´s english
    Good point from Basedow, I hadn´t thought about the 2 meanings of Rouse..... I agree completely with the pronunciation suggested.

To continue the thread, yes, Pleas (plural of Plea) and Please (Por favor) do have the same pronunciation.....

Anyone disagree ?

duder

USA/English
    Actually, Basedowlives and clipper, I think that the word you are looking for is ruse. It's a separate word, and not just another meaning of the word "rouse".

< Previous | Next >