dba

almgonzalez

Spanish, México City
I understand that dba after the name of a company means "doing business as", am I right? Can you tell me if this is frequently used in the business world in the USA?

Thank you

almgonzalez

• GenJen54

USA - English
    I don't know about what you want to understand by "frequently," but "dba" is the "standard" term for businesses that an individual, organization or company is conducting business under a different name.

Typically, however, a company's dba status is not necessarily known "to the public." It is mostly used for tax and/or investor purposes.

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Back in the early days of franchising, local franchisees were allowed to name their outlets, and the color scheme and corporate logo were incorporated so that out-of-towners could identify the familiar chain, and yet locals could still call the place by its mom-and-pop name. A place called "Sharpe's A&W" would have "DBA A&W" on their payroll checks and other legal paperwork. I believe Dairy Queen and Kentucky Fried Chicken were other franchises that allowed some personalizing. The "Col Sanders" character was concocted for an ad campaign (though of course it was based on the real owner)-- and that ended the leniency with customized outlets.

edit:
    I just remembered another big chain that allowed owner names-- the A&P grocery store chain. I think there was a time when franchise outlets were underesteemed by customers, and the corporations found it to their advantage when people who'd always bought groceries at Dishman's around the corner could continue to buy at Dishman's A&P.

Sabelotodo

English, United States
    In some cases, it is required to be used when conducting business in the U.S. In my state, if you have not filed an "assumed business name" with the county clerk, the law requires that you use your real name followed by "dba" then the business name. If you do not it is a crime--some form of fraud I believe. "DBA" is not frequently used, because most entrepreneures file the necessary paperwork immediately. There is a fee, so some avoid it for a while. It is one of the hassles that makes it a pain to start a new business.

"DBA" is frequently seen on the bank checks used by small businesses. This format shows both the name of the business and makes it clear that he or she is the only perrson authorized to sign the check.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    In the UK & Ireland, your Majesty, it is usually abbreviated to t/a.
    A quick web-search for "limited trading as" +"t/a" will give you lots of examples, such as
    Lencrest Developments Limited. T/A yourbigwin.com

< Previous | Next >