De-activation of user-IDs

< Previous | Next >

tayyabq8

Punjabi, Urdu & English
Hello All,

I'm in IT, and administrating one application, one guy sent me e-mail to deactivate few user-IDs from the application, I'm going to reply him as follows:

Subject: User-Deactivation from Application

Message Body: Following users have been deactivated from Application:

List of users etc
I'm writing this query because I'm quite curious to know about the use of " have been " in the above sentence as well any suggestions for better subject, because I'm sending this e-mail frequently.

Regards,
Tayyab

• Talant

Hi,

The "have been deactivated" is the verb "to deactivate" in a passive voice. The man, software or whatever who has deactivated them is of no importante.

What's the meaning of "deactivate" in this context? I suppose that you mean that their ID have been deleted (again the "have been") and they won't be able to log in again.

I would change the sentence as it follows: "The following users have been deactivated from the application" or ""The following users have been deactivated from [application's name]"

Regarding the subject of the e-mail, I think that you can keep it as it is.

Bye

tayyabq8

Punjabi, Urdu & English
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes deactivation means deletion from the application, and I'm going to replace application with the name of application, but about following:
    The following users have been deactivated from the application
    "The" has come twice in this sentence, is it correct?

Thanks again.

Talant

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes deactivation means deletion from the application, and I'm going to replace application with the name of application, but about following:

"The" has come twice in this sentence, is it correct?

Thanks again.
    Of course. "The" is an article and can be repeated a lot of times in a single sentence. "The" is the most repeated word in English.

Bye

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    Your question about "the use of have been" was not specific, so I'll add to the reply you got about the passive voice.

"Have been deactivated" is also in the present-perfect tense-- denoting an action taken during the recent past, which is to say at no specific moment. For actions completed at a point in time, we tend to use the simple past, "were deleted."

However, in AE the simple past is often used instead of the present perfect.

< Previous | Next >