de cuerpo presente y en espiritu

< Previous | Next >

COLsass

ES-->EN

I looked up de cuerpo presente and it suggests "in lying state" which means absolutely nothing to me. :confused: Help please!

The retinue traveling to Europe is made up of El Recodo's 18 band members, including technicians, support personal and general staff, reaching a total 50 people.

“Todos vamos de cuerpo presente, y en espíritu, don Cruz, quien debe estar bien contento,” afirmó Lizárraga.

• Antpax

Spanish Spain
    volky said:
    "We are all going in person, and Mr. Cruz, who must be very happy, will be in spirit", Lizárraga stated.
    Volky is completely right, but it is normal you are confussed Colsass, because "de cuerpo presente" means also that someone is dead and his body is somewhere is shown in a vigil (¿?).

As I am reading this I do not know if I am helping you or making you more confussed.

COLsass

I thought it meant something like this, i.e. bringing a dead body, but as far as I could tell no one is dead.....

In English we say "will be [t]here in spirit" (just so you know!) :)

Muchas gracias!

volky

Spanish/English
    This sentence grammar is confusing, if translating it literally, but the comma after "presente" is a pause that suggest that Mr. Cruz will go in spirit.

Todos vamos de cuerpo presente, y en espíritu, don Cruz, quien debe estar bien contento

I interpreted that Mr. Cruz is either sick or dead and can not accompany the rest of the group.

Todos vamos de cuerpo presente, this an spanish expresion to say that everyone will be physically there.

eric crowder

english ENgland
    Couldn´t this be interpreted also as being somewhere in body and spirit?

Sometimes we go somewhere but our thoughts and minds are elsewhere.

However if you are wholeheartedly in a place you there in body and spirit

< Previous | Next >