De nos jours à l’acculturation

< Previous | Next >
Bonjour,
I understand "de nos jours" (nowadays) and "acculturation" (acculturation) but when the two are put together here, "De nos jours à l’acculturation," the meaning is a bit lost for translation into English. Why is there an à ? Perhaps a native speaker understands the term? My stab at it is that it could mean "In our present age when acculturation is rife." Thanks!

Context: (text on the Amercian Indians) De nos jours à l’acculturation, ce raz-de-marée culturel, le nouveau mode de vie des « blancs », a beaucoup appauvri le mode de vie traditionnel, mais ne l’a pas pour autant fait disparaître. Ces hommes sont protégés par leur environnement et leur religion du maïs qui les lie les uns aux autres.

• Kiwipro

New Zealand English
    This is tricky. Who is speaking? If it is an older American Indian, could "de nos jours" possibly refer to "back in his day"?

Kiwipro

New Zealand English
    Maybe the author means, "In our day, at the stage of acculturation/when acculturation has been reached" - I guess that's what you meant by "rife"?

Santana2002

English, from Ireland
    I read this as something like: "From our days/time to cultural integration, this tidal wave of culture, the new lifestyle of the "whites" has impoverished the traditional lifestyle, but without actually making it disappear ....". As you say, that "à" doesn't really seem to fit, particularly if the author is the one who is speaking and not some old native American Indian. If it was a "de/d' " then it would fit much better with your interpretation, BrightonNative, one which I feel instinctively is correct. (In our time of cultural integration, this tidal wave of etc, etc ...)

< Previous | Next >