De quién es el turno

< Previous | Next >

palitas

Colombia/Spanish
Hola,
Como se traduce

Oigan chicos,
Nos quedamos sin bolsas de basura, no sé ¿de quién es el turno de comprarlas?

Mi intento

Hey guys,
We've run out of trash bags, I don't know, who's the turn to buy them?

Gracias

• Na'ilah

USA English
    I think both the Spanish and the English are wrong here.
    They should be:

Oigan, chicos. Nos quedamos sin bolsas de basura. No sé de quién es el turno de comprarlas.

Hey, guys. We are out of trash bags. I don't know whose turn IT IS to buy them.

There is no question (with question marks) here, but a statement of doubt.

Either that is the case or the "no sé" has no place in this sentence. That is, it could also read:

Oigan, chicos. Nos quedamos sin bolsas de basura. ¿De quién es el turno de comprarlas? (although, I would say "¿A quién le toca comprarlas?")

Hey, guys. We are out of trash bags. Whose turn is it to buy them?

phantom2007

spain, Spanish
    The original in Spanish had the "no se" in the phrase. Being an original, I do not think we have any right to change, correct or or improve it.

For me it was clearly a question and it should be "is it" and not "it is". Anyway, this thread is very old and most probably it is not longer active.

Na'ilah

USA English
    Well, in either case, readers should know how to properly punctuate. And they should know that questions marks do not belong in a sentence (in Spanish or English) that makes a declaration of doubt, which this one apparently, based on the order of the words, does.

There is another possibility:

Oigan, chicos. Nos quedamos sin bolsas de basura. No sé... ¿De quién es el turno de comprarlas?

In this case the "No sé..." is an unfinished thought.

It's never to late to help someone avoid a mistake they may make by reading a thread.

< Previous | Next >