de súbito, de pronto, de repente, subitamente

Word Eater

Russian - Moscow
Hola a todos. I'd like to know if there is any difference between

1. de súbito
2. de pronto
3. de repente
4. subitamente

Can all those words be used interchangeably? Like in a sentence "de repente la puerta se abrió"

• Drake15

Spanish (Argentina)
    Hola a todos. I'd like to know if there is any difference between

1. de súbito
    2. de pronto
    3. de repente
    4. súbitamente

Can all those words be used interchangeably? Like in a sentence "de repente la puerta se abrió"
    Sí, son totalmente intercambiables. "De repente la puerta se abrió" está perfecto.

malon labe

Spanish - Chile
    It depends how colloquial or formal are you talking and the emphasis you want to impress into your sentence. But generally you can interchange them.

de repente la puerta se abrió / de pronto la puerta se abrió (it is not something unexpected or that could cause surprise)
    de súbito la puerta se abrió / subitamente la puerta se abrió (it was something unexpected that caused surprise)

Word Eater

Russian - Moscow
    It depends how colloquial or formal are you talking and the emphasis you want to impress into your sentence. But generally you can interchange them.

de repente la puerta se abrió / de pronto la puerta se abrió (it is not something unexpected or that could cause surprise)
    de súbito la puerta se abrió / subitamente la puerta se abrió (it was something unexpected that caused surprise)
    So basically you say that 'de pronto' and 'de repente' has a shade of 'not unexpected', but usually they are synonymous to subitamente?

Another one: if I want to be formal, which one to use and which one is the most used in everyday speech?

Drake15

Spanish (Argentina)
    Another one: if I want to be formal, which one to use and which one is the most used in everyday speech?
    "De pronto" or "De repente" are the most informal ones. I would say "de repente" 100% of the time, since "pronto" is not a very common word here.

"Súbitamente" is definitely the most formal. And too is "De súbito", by extension.
    Another word you can use is "Repentinamente", which has the same meaning.

malon labe

Spanish - Chile
    También lo he buscado y hay textos, en la misma RAE, donde escriben sobresdrújulas con y sin acento. Las esdrújulas siempre van con acento, de eso no hay duda.

De esto yo también me he enterado hace poco por medio de mi hijo y sus clases de lenguaje (Castellano)

Last edited:

malon labe

Spanish - Chile
    So basically you say that 'de pronto' and 'de repente' has a shade of 'not unexpected', but usually they are synonymous to subitamente?

I would use "de repente" instead of "de pronto" but you would have to say the whole context.

< Previous | Next >