de yapa

mimica

serbo-croatian
Hello, do you think that it's all right to translate the Spanish phrase "de yapa" as "as an extra gift" in the phrase:

Le saqué las lagañas, le serví el desayuno y de yapa le froté las espátulas

I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as an extra gift, I rubbed her spatulas.

Thanks!

• spodulike

English - England
    No entiendo lo de espátulas, suena muy raro en Inglés.

Mis intentos

I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, for good measure, I rubbed her whatever it may be

I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as a little extra, I rubbed her ¿¿¿¿spatulas????

Last edited:

Chris K

English / US
    "As a bonus" would be natural. We do have the word "lagniappe" (derived, I think, from Quechua ñapa / yapa) but it's not a common word.

"Rubbed her spatulas" is a bit of a puzzle.

spodulike

English - England
    Aha! Creo que mimica quiere decir "scapulas" lo cual es "shoulders" or "shoulder blades" (los omóplatos)

Mi nuevo intento

I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, for good measure, I rubbed her shoulders.
    I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as a little extra, I rubbed her shoulders.
    I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as a bonus I rubbed her shoulders. (de Chris)

NOTE
    Mimica - scapula is a medical term for shoulder-blade (omóplato). It is not commonly used in the street.

Last edited:

Chris K

English / US
    Aha! Creo que mimica quiere decir "scapulas" lo cual es "shoulders" or "shoulder blades"

Mi nuevo intento

I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, for good measure, I rubbed her shoulders.
    I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as a little extra, I rubbed her shoulders.
    I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, as a bonus I rubbed her shoulders.
    Spoilsport -- just as I was contemplating the erotic possibilities of spatulas! ;)

spodulike

English - England
    Ha ha! Yes that was one of my first thoughts as well. But I couldn´t imagine any part of the body that would look good if spatula shaped!

Last edited:

mimica

serbo-croatian
    Thanks, guys! You are very quick and helpful! Cheers for the solution of "spatula" problem, as well :)

exop

English - USA and NZ
    I know this thread is 7 years old at this point, but thought when reading it that one could also say
    I wiped the sleep from her eyes, I served her breakfast and, to top it off, I rubbed her shoulders.
    The meaning is close to "as a little extra". To me at least, this locution has the sense of adding an extra topping to a dessert, like chocolate sauce over ice cream.

To me, "for good measure" sounds a little like someone trying to fulfill an obligation or to do an adequate job. It's not so much, doing something as an extra, but rather, doing a task well and thoroughly.

< Previous | Next >