dead in the water

< Previous | Next >

minhduc

vietnamese
HI
The context is two people have just bought a house. It's old and have many faults.

"At least this one has a soul," Jonathan siad. "You know what I mean? I feel like it's not too late. THis one isn't dead in the water yet."

Please tell me what does the bold one mean?

• owlman5

English-US
    This is just a funny way of saying that the house is still good. If it were "dead in the water", it would be too far gone to save.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    minhduc,
    There are quite few sites on the internet that can help you answer for yourself some of the questions about English idioms. This one I found by typing "dead in the water" definition into a search engine (Google) The definition they provide is the one I am familiar with
    If something is dead in the water, it isn't going anywhere or making any progress.
    Here's another one
    stalled; immobile. (Originally nautical.)
    There will be times when those searches don't completely explain the usage. In your quote the usage is a little different from the mainstream idiom's meaning - the person who says "This one isn't dead in the water" seems to mean "This house is not beyond repair" which isn't quite the same.

< Previous | Next >