Deal: How to use

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does the word "deal" meaning "bit of business" sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. I bought a computer for $ 1000 dollars, but it is actually worth $ 800. I got a bad deal.
b. Don't sell it for $ 100 euros. You'll get a very bad deal. It's worth $ 300.
c. My brother got a terrible deal by selling his car for $ 5000 dollars. It's worth $ 30 000.

Thank you in advance!

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    They all sound good to me.
    For b. I might change it to - That's a really bad deal instead of You'll get...

Andygc

British English
    I think that you must change this:

"Don't sell it for $ 100 euros. You'll get a very bad deal. It's worth $ 300." :thumbsdown:
    You aren't getting a bad deal, you are making the bad deal - you are doing the selling.
    "Don't sell it for $ 100 euros. You'll be making a very bad deal. It's worth $ 300."

Similarly, your brother is making the deal, not getting it.

"My brother got a terrible deal by selling his car for $ 5000 dollars. It's worth $ 30 000." :thumbsdown:
    "My brother made a terrible deal by selling his car for $ 5000 dollars. It's worth $ 30 000."

You get a good deal, a fair deal or a bad deal when you are buying, not when you are selling - either literally or metaphorically.

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    As explained the one making the deal is setting the price; the one getting the deal is accepting or rejecting the price.

< Previous | Next >