deal psychological damage at

nomnom27

Castellano
Imagine this scenerio where a family won a trip to meet the president of any country. Once they get there, the mom of the family starts hounding and asking questions to the president who then starts to get a little flustered.

So I'm just wondering if the following sentence is correct to describe the situation from the point of view of the son:

To deal psychological damage at the president, my mom is the only one who can do that

Is at used correctly in this sentence or should I use to? At feel more natural to me.

Disregard what I posted earlier, I messed up.

Last edited:
  • nomnom27

Castellano
    Imagine this scenerio where a family won a trip to meet the president of any country. Once they get there, the mom of the family starts hounding and asking questions to the president who then starts to get a little flustered.

So I'm just wondering if the following sentence is correct to describe the situation from the point of view of the son:

My mom, a simple housewife, is dealing damage at the president.

Is at used correctly in this sentence or should I use to? At feel more natural to me.
    Disregard my last post. This is what I meant to say "To deal psychological damage at the president, my mom is the only one who can do that."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Nomnom27 - you must play a lot of videogames!
    This is the first time I have seen the expression "dealing damage" so I googled it. The first three pages are exclusively form sites about video games. No other uses in the three pages I checked. This expression seems to be used there - but nowhere else (at least not much !)

If this sentence is to be said to another videogamer who might understand it, then perhaps it's OK. However, for normal English I would recommend you use some "normal" phrase to describe what you mean!

nomnom27

Castellano
    Nomnom27 - you must play a lot of videogames!
    This is the first time I have seen the expression "dealing damage" so I googled it. The first three pages are exclusively form sites about video games. No other uses in the three pages I checked. This expression seems to be used there - but nowhere else (at least not much !)

If this sentence is to be said to another videogamer who might understand it, then perhaps it's OK. However, for normal English I would recommend you use some "normal" phrase to describe what you mean!
    In a more formal way I would say it like "my mom is giving a lot of psychological torment to the president." It sounds grimmer than the gamer lingo.:)

================================================================================================================
    I'm a gamer with no games.:(:):(:):(

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "My mom is tormenting the president with questions!" would work well. Tormenting can be mental or physical and ro cause annoyance or suffering. Since it is clealry mental, there is no need for the word psychological either.

nomnom27

Castellano
    So to anyone who's a gamer or heard this the "to deal damage," do you use:

To deal damage at
    or
    To deal damage to

Or are they both interchangable?

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    So to anyone who's a gamer or heard this the "to deal damage," do you use:

To deal damage at
    or
    To deal damage to

Or are both interchangable?
    All the google examples I referred to above (type "dealing damage", including the quotation marks, into their search box, and you can learn for yourself) use the verb either intransitively or with the word to. In normal, non-gamer English, we would say "inflicting damage on something" or "causing damage to something" - it seems it is only in "Gamer English" where dealing damage occurs. If you need more authoritative answers to such questions you will need to find a forum that specializes in Gamer English :D

Last edited:

nomnom27

Castellano
    All the google examples I referred to above (type "dealing damage", including the quotation marks, into their search box, and you can learn for yourself) use the verb either intransitively or with the word to. In normal, non-gamer English, we would say "inflicting damage on something" or "causing damage to something" - it seems it is only in "Gamer English" where dealing damage occurs. If you need more authoritative answers to such questions you will need to find a forum that specializes in Gamer English :D
    I've been looking around and asking somewhere else like JulianStuart suggested and I found my answer.

If you want to know the most common way to use "to deal damage" is "how to deal damage to an opponent" or "he's dealing damage to an enemy soldier" kind of like "causing damage to something"

Thanks everyone for your other suggestions as well.:)

< Previous | Next >