Deal with / handle / tackle

Sharivan

Brazil / Portuguese
Hello mates, how've you been? Here comes a new question:

Are the verbs "deal with, handle and tackle" possible to be used interchangeably? Do they have exactly the same meaning? Could you provide some examples for each of them?

Thanks in advance!

• Vikta

English/French/Spanish Canada
    No, they dont all have the same meanings, except handle and deal. Look:
    "I will handle the problem myself"
    "I will deal with the problem myself"
    "I will tackle the problem"

Tackle has more of a meaning to try to handle the problem, implying that it is a big problem (most of the time). It can also mean a tackle in american football when a player hits another with his body.

ok?

A90Six

England - English.
    Sharivan said:
    Hello mates, how've you been? Here comes a new question:

Are the verbs "deal with, handle and tackle" possible to be used interchangeably? Do they have exactly the same meaning? Could you provide some examples for each of them?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, they can be used interchangeably, but I think there are some subtle differences.

IMO the differences are these:

Can you deal with it? I know you have the capability, but do you have the time/the inclination? Will you do me a favour?

Can you handle it? Do you feel you would be able to cope with the task/the news/the situation?

Can you tackle it? Can you resolve the problem? I want you to take this head-on and sort out the problem.

marylou2010

German (Swiss)
    Dear all,

could handle and deal with also both be used in this context?

- I HANDLE/ DEAL with the media.

The book says only "deal works here. I don't see according what's written in this forum why handle wouldn't work. Could anyone clarify, please?

Thank you!

Kali123

The difference is what you are handling/dealing with because the verb "deal with" has more than one meaning. For the purposes of this question, and at the risk of oversimplifying, you handle/deal with a PROBLEM, but you deal with PEOPLE/AN ORGANISATION. So in the example above, the most probable answer is "deal with the MEDIA"...

< Previous | Next >