Dealing with dealing cards "face down"

< Previous | Next >

illogicaljoker

English
I'm trying to pinpoint what "face down" is acting as (adverb, adjective, other) in a sentence I'm trying to edit:

"Place the remaining cards face down in a draw pile."
VERB - ADJECTIVE - OBJECT - ? ? ? - PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE

I don't like the idea of "face down" modifying "place" as an adverb ("Face down place the remaining cards") as I read it much more as a positional modifier on the cards themselves ("Place the remaining cards in a draw pile so that their faces are down").

Must I accept "face down" as an adverb (in which case I must change it to read "Place the remaining cards facedown in a draw pile")? I know colloquial usage is OK with keeping the original sentence, but can anyone give a technical reason for doing so?

• JamesM

I wouldn't ever replace it with "facedown." I don't see the problem with "face down" being an adverbial phrase here. It's similar to "Hold your hands palms up in front of you".

The old rule I was taught was "adverbs often answer 'how". Place the cards. Place the cards how? Face down. Hold your hands. Hold your hands how? Palms up.

ewie

English English
    Hello IJ ~ Welcome to the forum:)
    Yes, I'd most likely call it an 'adverbial phrase' too. 'Adverbial phrase containing a noun qualified by a preposition' if someone put a gun to my head and insisted I be a bit more specific.

illogicaljoker

English
    Sure, adverbial phrase sounds fine, but according to Websters 11th (which is the guide I--sometimes unfortunately--go by), "facedown" is the adverb meaning "with the face down." I'm not sure that I'd be able to use the adverbial phrase "face down" instead of the adverb "facedown"--or is there more than an aesthetic difference between an adverb and adverbial phrase in this instance?

JamesM

Although I see that www.m-w.com lists "facedown" as an adverb, I would never have thought of using "facedown" as an adverb before this thread. I would only use "face down". "Facedown", to me, is a noun meaning a confrontation.

The Times National Corpus shows many more uses of "face down" than "facedown" as an adverb, so I don't think I'm alone in this.

I would always write "she was found lying face down in the bathtub" (to use a gruesome example) rather than "she was found lying facedown in the bathtub".

< Previous | Next >