dean (chair at a university division)

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

I have a slight problem with the ranks in educational system

I think that "dean" is the "chair of a division of a university" - is this right?

e.g. "Woodward served as a professor of psychology in Governors State’s College of Education for more than 29 years and was chair of the Division of Psychology and Counseling from 1979 until his retirement in 2002."

Could I say he was dean of the division of psychology and counselling?
  • I agree with picarooney that location is key. University faculty titles are variable from country to country and sometimes even within countries.

    In general, in large American universities, university departments have chairmen (or sometimes chairs, nowadays). Schools (also sometimes called faculties) within the university - for example, the School of Medicine - have deans.

    The university as a whole has a president, although in small colleges, the dean may also be the president.

    Divisions, on the other hand, are parts of departments; that is, they are smaller than departments. In medical schools and, generally, in the biological sciences, divisions have chiefs. I don't know if this is also the term used in non-science departments.

    In other words, the Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery reports to the Chairman of the Department of Surgery, who reports to the Dean of the School of Medicine, who reports to the President of the University.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    Thank you,

    It is in the US.
    Actually I was trying to translate it into Polish, where we have deans as heads of university faculties (and I believe divisions too-though I must admit I considered "division" to be "faculty") and Presidents (vice-chancellors in GB?) as heads of universities
    < Previous | Next >