Dean, Warden and SCR in 1930s Oxford

< Previous | Next >

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
Hello!

I just finished reading Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers. (Well, it felt appropriate to start it on Gaudete Sunday). It is a Lord Peter Wimsey detective novel set in an imaginary women's college at Oxford in 1935. The college is imaginary, but knowing Sayers, the information is as accurate as anything.

There is a Dean of the College, and there is a Warden, who appears to be her superior, though I'm not sure if it's at College or University level. Can someone explain these roles? I have the impression that the dean is not the same as the dean of a USian college, and I have no idea what the warden does.

There is also the "Senior Common Room", which, I gather is not only the common room for faculty but also for "senior members" of the college, who seem to be visiting graduates. It is often called just SCR in dialogue, and it seems to refer not merely to the room, but to those who have the right to use it, as a group. Is that right?

Thanks very much for indulging my non-work related (for a change) curiosity.
:)

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    A reply that is amazing in its Accuracy, Brevity and Cogence. (Is that a word?)
    Thanks, panj.
    :)

< Previous | Next >