Dear Ms. investigator or Dear Madam investigator?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by apoziopeza, Jun 23, 2016.

1. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    Hi,

Please advise, how could I start a letter addressed to a female police investigator?

Thanks,

A.

Context:

Dear Ms. investigator,

I am writing you with respect to criminal prosecution in a matter of an especially serious crime of fraud ...

2. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    I'd stick with Dear Madam, if you don't know her name.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    In which country is this female police investigator?

PS:
    I am writing you with respect to criminal prosecution in a matter of an especially serious crime case of fraud ...

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    You should address her by the name of her rank and her surname. Is "Investigator" her rank or job title? If so, you begin:
    Dear Investigator Smith:

In the police department for which I work, police investigators have the title "Detective", and you would address an investigator that way:
    Dear Detective Jones.

Likewise, if you are writing to any other police official, you use the appropriate rank or title with the person's last name:
    Dear Officer Green
    Dear Sergeant White
    Dear Lieutenant Blue

and so forth.

5. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    Slovak Republic

In Slovak it literally reads: "Dear Ms. investigator, ...."

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Now I'm confused. Are you translating an existing document from Slovak to English? Or are do you want to write in English to a woman who actually speaks Slovak????

7. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    Yes, I am translating an existing document from Slovak to English.

8. By-the-sea Member

English - Scotland
    The Slovak habit of addressing people by mundane job function (Good morning Mrs teacher/director/neighbour...) does not exist at all. In English we would address the person by their name as greenwhiteblue suggests. Otherwise it would be 'Dear Sir/Madam'. We don't make assumptions about sex according to job type so the two are required.

9. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    As the OP states that the letter is to a female investigator I would not include "Sir" [as my #2]