Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Sir & Madam [Email Salutation]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shreyahoshi, Jan 31, 2017.

1. shreyahoshi Banned

india-hindi
    Hi guys, in an email when we have to send mail to multiple recipients where we know that there are both male and female recipients what salutation should we use....Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Sir & Madam?????

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Sir & Madam?????:cross:
    Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Sir & Madam? :tick:

If each recipient receives one email: "Dear Sir or Madam"
    If each recipient is two people who (i) share an email address and can see each other's emails, and (ii) you know that each pair of people consists of one man and one woman: Dear Sir & Madam. (This form is usually only used in formal business correspondence to a married couple and, even then, is very rare.)

However, you have not told us why you are sending the email or what relation the recipient has to you - so the advice above may not be relevant.

3. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
  4. shreyahoshi Banned

india-hindi
    Thanx for your answer. Actually, I'm replying to the mail I've got from my Mam and I have to update her about my work. She has sent the mail to me and CCed my Sir. Now I have to reply to both my Sir and Mam. And so the above question arose.

5. Kowalskii New Member

Chinese
    "To whom it may concern" this may be an option

6. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    Who are "my Mam" and "my Sir"? Your bosses? Your teachers?

Note that it's "Ma'am", not "Mam". It's a short form/variation of "Madam".

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. shreyahoshi Banned

india-hindi
    Thanx Mr.Barque. They are my bosses.

8. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Presumably you know their names, since you work for them. "Dear Mr. Patel and Ms. Bhatt" would be appropriate in the US; perhaps this would be considered improper in India, in which case I leave it to Barque to answer.

Note that "thanx" is not a word.

9. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    No, it wouldn't be improper but "Dear Sir and Ma'am" or "Dear Sir and Madam" are probably more common here in this context.
    The title "Mr." doesn't go with internet user-names; just call me Barque.

10. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    No you don't. She wrote to you. She copied your "Sir" (whoever that is). You reply to her, and also copy him.

Unless she wrote to both of you (Dear Sirs), in which case you would reply to both (Dear Sir and Ma'am).