Dear [unknown ]professors

< Previous | Next >

IBNGABIROL

Español
Hi! I always had the following question.

I saw a flyer announcing an academic meeting. I would like to submit a paper, and, consequently, I have to write to them in order to ask them a few things. However, the contact adress is an institutional one, and moreover I am not completely sure about who is organizing the meeting. Thus, to whom should I address the email?

Might it be correct to write, for example, "Dear professors [without any specific name]"?

I believe that "To Whom It May Concern" is not used in these circumstances.

Thanks!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You are writing to a secretary,

Dear Sir or Madam,

blah, blah, blah...

Yours sincerely

Ibinga Birol

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I know that, but the point is that (i) the person who opens the letter will be probably be a secretary (unless you are writing to each professor individually and you indicate that you are not.) (ii) if you do not know for certain the rank/title of the recipient, the guidance is to use Dear Sir or Madam, [...] Yours sincerely, Your Name.

An alternative is "Dear Professor," which will cover each reader individually.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would go with 'Dear Sir/Madam' as well. I'd not be unhappy with 'Dear Organiser', I suppose.

All of this, as Paul said, will probably be handled by administrative staff, or possibly research students, or junior academics.

< Previous | Next >