death be thy destination

< Previous | Next >

Agito a42

Source: The Flight of Dragons (1982), an American animated fantasy movie.

An evil wizard called Ommadon sends his dragon familiar Bryag to kill a group of brave heroes:
"It's your turn now, Bryag. You and your legions, attack! Demolish! Devour! Burn! Grind them to dust! Go forth and death be thy destination!"

Could you tell me whether by saying "death be thy destination" Ommadon means "bring death upon them" or "die for me"?

• lingobingo

English - England
    What precedes it heavily suggests that the speaker means it’s his mission to kill — despite the fact that the word destination implies that he himself should die.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It sounds as if it means he is sending Bryag to death. But would this make sense? It's hard to twist it so it means "send them to death".

Agito a42

It sounds as if it means he is sending Bryag to death. But would this make sense?
    The problem is, it does not - at lest that's what I think. Ommadon doesn't try to delay heroes or something. They are after his head and he just wants to put an end to their quest. Although Bryag and his legions fail eventually, at the moment Ommadon sends them after the heroes, they look fearsome and terrifying and it doesn't seem like there's any stopping them...

Anyway, thank you for your replies, everyone. That's all I wanted to know.

< Previous | Next >