death by ass

< Previous | Next >

flowersophy

Chinese-China
Hi,

What does "death by ass" mean in the following context?
The headline would read "DEATH BY ASS." The newsprint already blazed across my imagination: text bold, black, and all caps. I would have preferred less brevity and more dash. Maybe "Local Man Succumbs to Killer Foreign Ass." (Quoted from High Seas Drifters: Cruise Confidential 4 by Brian David Bruns)

Many thanks!

• Randisi.

American English; USA
    Hard to say without more context.

Could be a donkey. Could be sex. Could be the buttocks part of a statue falling on someone. Could be...

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    This is the beginning of the book. I cannot give more clues about it. According to "I would have preferred less brevity and more dash. Maybe 'Local Man Succumbs to Killer Foreign Ass.'" I guess "ass" might refer to "a fool", but I am not sure.

flowersophy

Chinese-China
    Here are more clues: Astonishingly, Mom saw this one coming. She always warned me I would die some horrible, unforeseen death if I dared leave my native Iowa. Or the house. I thought she was just being overprotective, yet here I was, thirty years and six thousand miles away, proving her right.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    High Seas Drifters: Cruise Confidential 4 seems to be full of references to historical figures. The use of "would" on "The headline would read "DEATH BY ASS."" indicates that the speaker is imagining an historical event as if it were being written in today's newspapers.

We are probably looking for a classical figure who died in that way.

Copyright

American English
    Based on post 6, he could be imaging his own death as he's traveling astride an ass along a narrow, precipitous mountain path.

Loob

English UK
    The answer comes a couple of pages later;):
    Beneath me, my mount shifted. This nameless beast, who was to be my ride down the nearly vertical cliffs of Santorini, puffed and fussed as much as nearby Fire Island. This was my first mule ride, and I was both surprised and intimidated by the power this humble animal exuded. [...] I hoped my beast of burden was not as capricious as the gods.

-----
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    MrC!

< Previous | Next >