... death dealing ways.

< Previous | Next >

Condelis

Portuguese, Portugal
Hi,

Would you please help me interpretating the above referred words in this context:

"Each one must become aware of the issues of wrong occupation with its disasters and miseries, weary routine and death dealing ways."

Thank you!

• I think it has something to do with the idea of "dealing" something out. Usually we say "To deal (out) cards". And "Life can deal you a bum hand" (fig: a bad set of cards to play with). In this sense, the occupation is itself the dealer, or distributor of death. Maybe others will have a different interpretation...

Hi,

Would you please help me interpretating to interpret the above referred words in this context:

"Each one must become aware of the issues of wrong occupation with its disasters and miseries, weary routine and death dealing ways."

Thank you!

Hello Condelis,

Are you referring to the occupation of a country by an invading force? I can't imagine it is anything to do with "occupation" in an employment context.

LRV

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... death dealing ways.

There really should be a hyphen
    ... death-dealing ways.

"ways" are patterns of behaviour.

Someone with death-dealing ways has established a reputation for killing.

Condelis

Portuguese, Portugal
    First of all, thank you so much for having corrected my mistakes! I find it very useful to take part in these forums!

Now, regarding the context, this is a bit difficult. This sentence belongs to a book written by Krishnamurti and it bresths philosophy from the the first to the last page!

The word "occupation" do refer to employment, job.

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    That explains a lot! 'death-dealing ways' is open to a lot of possible interpretations. It could refer to the intense competitiveness of the rat-race, internal politics, health dangers arising from stress, ad infinitum. Take your choice.

Quote:
    "Each one must become aware of the issues of wrong occupation with its disasters and miseries, weary routine and death-dealing ways."

Philosophers are renowned for writing their thoughts in what I consider to be "difficult" language.

Here, Krishnamurti is talking about being in the wrong employment. The words which follow have an almost "Dickensian" ring to them.

I have been doing a little research on Krishnamurti. The sentence you give can be found in paragraph 2 of the article here.

Kkrishnamurti is speaking of work in India prior to 1944 and criticising people for taking work which is unsuitable for their personal well-being and spiritual happiness. He says -

"Greed, tradition and the desire for power will bring about the wrong means of livelihood."

I can quite understand "death-dealing" ways now I have learned some more of the times of the writer, and of his philosophy.

I agree with Badgrammar.:)

LRV

Condelis

Portuguese, Portugal
    La Reine and Badgrammar,

Thank you so much for the precious help you gave me!

P.S. - I confess I am quite happy for having awakened your interest on Krishnamurti. Personally I think his books are worthwhile reading!

< Previous | Next >