death-fixated

< Previous | Next >
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Let's take a look at fixated first. This is derived from definition #3 of fixate:
    pay attention to exclusively and obsessively.
    I can't say exactly what the author had in mind, but "death-fixated virtue" implies that Clarissa's virtue in some manner was fixated on death, consisted of her preoccupation with death, or had death as its goal. Perhaps if you would give us the earlier sentence in which the author explains her or his idea about Paradise Lost, we could work out more exactly what phrase means.

By the way, it should be heroine, not heroin.

(Who wrote this? Please give us the source of any quoted material.)

Linhpi

Vietnamese
    Let's take a look at fixated first. This is derived from definition #3 of fixate:
    pay attention to exclusively and obsessively.
    I can't say exactly what the author had in mind, but "death-fixated virtue" implies that Clarissa's virtue in some manner was fixated on death, consisted of her preoccupation with death, or had death as its goal. Perhaps if you would give us the earlier sentence in which the author explains her or his idea about Paradise Lost, we could work out more exactly what phrase means.

By the way, it should be heroine, not heroin.

(Who wrote this? Please give us the source of any quoted material.)
    Actually this sentence is not in a book of literature criticism but in a novel (Atonement, Ian Mc Ewan). It is about the book that Cecilia - on of the protagonists read, and what she thought about that book. There is no further related information. But I think your explanation is clear enough for me. Thanks

< Previous | Next >