death proof

piotr1980

Polish
Hello

Can we call something that it's ''death proof''. I refer the the last Tarantini's movie.

This car is death proof ( do we use this expression or it was only used in his movie?)

Many thanks
Piotr

• mylasalle

English - Philippines
    Hello Piotr

Though not too common at all, yes it can be used.
    And knowing how screenplays in Tarantino movies find their way into everyday English, I wouldn't be surprised if I hear it being used more often.

AWordLover

USA English
    Hello

Can we call something that it's ''death proof''. I refer the the last Tarantini's movie.

This car is death proof ( do we use this expression or it was only used in his movie?)

Many thanks
    Piotr
    Here's some help from the dictionary.
    proof
    adj.
    1. Fully or successfully resistant; impervious. Often used in combination: waterproof watches; a fireproof cellar door.

Matching Mole

England, English
    do we use this expression or it was only used in his movie?
    Although someone may have thought of the phrase before, I would say yes, it's a novel formation on a familiar usage, e.g. tamper-proof, child-proof and of course water-proof. Creative English speakers do this all the time to make their speech or writing startling, humorous, ironic, etc. If the new formation is memorable it will often catch on.

Nikined

Russian
    can this phrase have meaning "proof of death"? And does it sound (in "tarantino" meaning) awkward in normal, real-life language?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >