debase, debauch, corrupt, pervert

< Previous | Next >

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hi, group! I'm studying semantic fields of many many words and some of them are difficult to understand without a meaningful example, which my book does not provide me with. If you can help me... These are some of the words

debase- debauch- corrupt- pervert

All of them in infinitive or past participles.

Thanks in advance, Art. :confused:

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hola Artrella,

Excessive bureaucratic doublespeak can debase a a people by persuading them that not even language is worthy of rules.

Debauched by the extraordinary woman, he abandoned his moral rectitude.

To corrupt the electoral process, the politician jailed his opponents.

Some say that to incorporate English words into Spanish is to pervert a noble language.

Please try to find some more uplifting words next time,

C

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    cuchufléte said:
    Hola Artrella,

Excessive bureaucratic doublespeak can debase a a people by persuading them that not even language is worthy of rules.

Debauched by the extraordinary woman, he abandoned his moral rectitude.

To corrupt the electoral process, the politician jailed his opponents.

Some say that to incorporate English words into Spanish is to pervert a noble language.

Please try to find some more uplifting words next time,

C

No worry C! I have a "barrage" of words I have to study and need help with examples... I won't leave you alone, people! Thanks a lot, Art. :)

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    debase- debauch- corrupt- pervert
    I would sooner kneel one mile away than debase myself and admit I was wrong

Spring break brings debauchery to most American campuses

Government officials were corrupted by rumrunners

The media generally tends to pervert the real facts (to alter)

:D I hope it helps

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    lercarafridi said:
    I would sooner kneel one mile away than debase myself and admit I was wrong

Spring break brings debauchery to most American campuses

The media generally tends to pervert the real facts (to alter)

:D I hope it helps

Hi Lercarafridi (what a difficult name!)! Your examples are so helpful, however there's this word that I couldn't find in any dictionaries: Rumrunner
    Could you tell me the meaning, please?
    THKS Art :confused:

jacinta

USA English
    A runner is a smuggler. A rumrunner would be one who smuggles rum or liquor, probably comes from the days of prohibition. Does this make sense in what you are reading?

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    jacinta said:
    A runner is a smuggler. A rumrunner would be one who smuggles rum or liquor, probably comes from the days of prohibition. Does this make sense in what you are reading?
    Jacinta, in fact it was Lercarafridi's sentence. So I have no context. The problem is that I looked "rumrunner" up, and I could not find it. Maybe L can tell us what she/he meant with that word. Thanks anyway! Art ;)

Sharon

United States, English
    Jacinta's answer is correct, a rumrunner is one who smuggles liquor across a border. (A rumrunner is also a boat used to smuggle liquor across the border.)
    To explain Lercarafridi's sentence, I would assume that the smugglers bribed the government officials to look the other way.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Sharon said:
    Jacinta's answer is correct, a rumrunner is one who smuggles liquor across a border. (A rumrunner is also a boat used to smuggle liquor across the border.)
    To explain Lercarafridi's sentence, I would assume that the smugglers bribed the government officials to look the other way.

Thanks, Sharon!

jacinta

USA English
    lercarafridi said:

Oh, yes, Art, I see now. I passed by that sentence and didn't even notice! Actually, rumrunner is in my English dictionary, not in the translation dictionary. It is not a frequently used word. I'm not sure how the rumrunners would corrupt the government officials except by paying "muerdas" or bribing them to get their goods across the border. That makes sense.

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    Artrella said:
    Hi Lercarafridi (what a difficult name!)! Your examples are so helpful, however there's this word that I couldn't find in any dictionaries: Rumrunner
    Could you tell me the meaning, please?
    THKS Art :confused:
    The swift off-boards, or their drivers, entering illegal alcohol from the Caribbean in the east coast of the USA back in 1920s were called rumrunners, as most of the liquor consisted of rum, however these motorboats were eventually used to smuggle any beverage: beer, wine, whiskey, etc. In a 1925 report some Illinois congressmen were proven to have accepted money from the mob in order to remove the hindrances met by those bootleggers in the US customs. Besides then Chicago mayor William Thompson was subpoenaed to face graft charges linked with the Volstead Act.
    :)

< Previous | Next >