Debate

cougr

English-Australia
I am looking for a Greek word for the above term. I am aware that the word 'ntimbeit' is used extensively in modern Greek for this but was wondering if there is a more authentic Greek translation for it .

• vatrahos

American English
    I usually say διαξιφισμός -- if we're talking about the specific forum where two or more people argue an issue from two sides. There could be a more official word that I'm not aware of, though.

Also, if we're talking about the abstract use ("there's been a lot of debate surrounding this issue") I would say διαμάχη.

διαξιφισμός (cf. ξίφος) started off meaning a "sword fight," but it was gradually applied more and more to a "battle of words."

cougr

English-Australia
    Thanks vatrahos ,interestingly none of these options came up on various dictionary searches that I tried beforehand .

winegrower

Also: αντιπαράθεση (θέσεων), δημόσια συζήτηση or δημόσιος διάλογος. Regarding the etymology of this term, there is a recent-probably inconsistent-assertion that it would come from the word "δίβατον", which is strongly debated and considered to be part of the so-called "Portokalos syndrome"!

cougr

English-Australia
    Thanks for your replies Dimitri and winegrower. Love the on-going debate centering around the words "δίβατον" and "debate" ,excuse the pun .

PS : Winegrower ,what's the "Portokalos syndrome" ? Have never heard of it and can't seem to find anything on it and now I'm curious.

PSS : Just got it ,if in fact you are referring to Gus's diatribe in the movie "my big fat Greek wedding'' about every word having a Greek root .

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >