1. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Debunk, argot, is listed as a verb with a kinship to déboulonner. It seems to have no infinitive. At least I couldn't locate one. Can you use debunk for more definitions than "to discredit?" In English to debunk has several meanings and basically it is used to mean "destroy the myth of things." Does debunk take on the same meaning in French as it does in English?

2. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    Do you mean that "debunk" is used in french sentences ?

If so, it's a pure importation from english and is definitely not a french word.
    In such a case, I can only guess that those who use it, use it with exacltly the same meaning as in english. And in english, it is already colloquial (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/debunk).
    Hope it helps!

3. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    I was surprised to see it turn up as a French verb but it is argot. Argot of course has its own rules. I had intended to translate the English meaning of "debunk" into French for a letter which I was writing. The response that I got was "debunk" I'm satisfied to agree that it must not have another meaning than to destroy a myth, theory or whatever. Thanks for the reply.

4. CARNESECCHI Senior Member

Auvergne
    French / France
    Hello,
    If you need an equivalent if french, I can suggest some :
    "confondre", "découvrir", "démontrer", "dévoiler", "lever le masque", "montrer", "révéler"

And, I also found "debunking" in french pages, mainly about UFOs. Considering the apparent level of education of the people who wrote these pages, I think that this usage is a kind of snobbery...
    Hope it helps!

5. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    thanks Carne UfOs? that explains it. I do greatly appreciate the list.