Dec vs. December

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jokaec, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:42 PM.

1. jokaec Senior Member

Chinese - Hong Kong
    In the colloquial language, is it correct to only pronounce "Dec [Des]" for December? For example, Dec is passing very fast because its holidays. Likewise, Jan for January. Thank you.

2. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Jan and Feb sound natural in speech, but none of the other abbreviations do.

3. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    Definitely not with December, even if it was written as Dec – we'd pronounce it in full.

Having said that, I might use 'Jan' for January or 'Feb' for February: I'm busy until the end of Jan/Feb, then I could do the work.

But I wouldn't personally use it for any other month.

I think the problem with December is that there's no good way to pronounce it: 'deck' (for the spelling) or 'dess' (for the pronunciation) don't really work.

Cross-posted

4. AnythingGoes Senior Member

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I may have missed something but I'm pretty sure I've never heard an AmE speaker abbreviate a month name orally.

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I think "Jan/Feb" or "Jan-Feb" is only used adjectivally or as part of a prepositional modifier and is a vague idiom meaning "at the beginning of the year" or "approximately the first two months":

"I'm busy until the end of Jan/Feb,
    "I'll see you around Jan/Feb time."

It is not idiomatic to say "Jan is passing very fast because of the holidays." (it sounds like someone called "Janice" is dying) or "Feb is passing very fast because of the holidays."

6. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    Neither have I. Must be a BE thing.

7. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    I’ve never he
    i agree. If I said anything about “the end of Jan” I would expect Jan to be quite offended. :eek:

8. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    :eek:
    From Wiki
    Digital Equipment Corp (DEC), has already passed.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    In the USA I would call these "abbreviations" and not "symbols" in most instances and I would include the period at the end. As abbreviations I would normally pronouce the entire word.

Dec. = "December"
    N.Y. = "New York"

Months and days of the week are abbreviations:
    • Dec.
    • Jan.
    • Fri.
    • Sat.

States can be abbreviations (in text) or symbols (in postal addresses)

New York (spelled out)
    N.Y. (abbreviation)
    NY (postal symbol)

10. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Add me to those who have never heard the name of any month shortened in AE speech. Many spoken short forms, such as "journo" for journalist or "convo" for conversation, are rare or completely absent in AE but are used in some other varieties of English. I think this is just one more example.

11. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    I have come across most of the "long" months (only excluding April to July) and all of the days of the week spoken in an abbreviated form, and we have even created abbreviations specifically so they can be pronounced, like Sept and Thurs.

However, the occasions when I might use such an abbreviation are very rare, as are the occasions when I hear someone else use one. I cannot recall any situation when saying abbreviations aloud would be the norm.

12. jokaec Senior Member

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Thank you all!