decades of rapid economic progress has seen China develop

< Previous | Next >

felixwong33

Chinese
More than three decades of rapid economic progress has seen China develop into a rich and powerful country with many poor people, which is not an ideal governing model for such a huge country in the long term. It’s time for the central government to seriously review and improve the basic wages of workers.

Is it wrong(the highlighted part)? Pls comment.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Please review the forum rules, with special attention to the part about thread titles.

Please read the English Only Forum Guidelines , with attention to the parts about abbreviations and standard language. [Pls is not a word in the English language.]

It is not wrong. Think of it as "an extended period of time has seen China develop..."

"More than three decades of xxxxxx" is a single, loosely defined time interval.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thanks for your reminder.

But why we don't need to add an "s" in the word "develop"? (i.e. develops)
    We say "China develops [into a rich country]" when China is the subject of the main clause, but "has seen China develop" when the verb [develop] is part of what has been seen.

An aside: Personally, I would prefer "decades ... have seen", though I agree that "has" can be justified grammatically.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    China is the subject.

Normally, when we say the sentence on its own, we say;
    China develops into a rich country.
    But when this is the object of 'seen', we say
    [Something] has seen China develop into a rich country.​

< Previous | Next >