decided we to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

teacherdehnavi

Persian
Is there a possibility if I say the following sentence?
Today, decided we to speak about language learning resources.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    There is nothing wrong with the combination of words "today decided we", but "decided" needs a subject, and "we" is the subject of the that-clause that forms the object of "decided" ("that" being omitted).
    Mr Jones today decided we would have our staff outing on June 30th.​
    It isn't a common word order, but it is grammatical.

Your sentence lacks a subject for "decided". Although subject-verb inversion is technically possible, and might be used by a poet, it does not work in your sentence.

Last edited:

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Could you put this sentence on Google and see the results?
    Google Search does NOT check grammar. Google Search does NOT check correctness.

If your search is [today decided we] Google searches for ANY of the 3 words.

If your search is ["today decided we"] Google searches for those 3 words in that order, even if they are part of different clauses, different sentences, or incorrect.

Does Google Saerch work on Farsi? If so, you can test this using an incorrect sequence of Farsi words.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    A similar computer tool from the Google company is "Ngrams". It searches for a sequence of words (in that order) in all published books. It find it very useful sometimes.

Here is an Ngram comparing "today we decided" with "today decided we". It found zero examples of "today decided we":

Google Books Ngram Viewer

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Even if there was inversion (often triggered by an initial negative phrase), you would need to add an auxiliary:

Not until today did we decide to...

teacherdehnavi

Persian
    Google Search does NOT check grammar. Google Search does NOT check correctness.

If your search is [today decided we] Google searches for ANY of the 3 words.

If your search is ["today decided we"] Google searches for those 3 words in that order, even if they are part of different clauses, different sentences, or incorrect.

Does Google Saerch work on Farsi? If so, you can test this using an incorrect sequence of Farsi words.
    You know I said that sentence automatically and it was recorded on my video so I'm trying to convince myself that it was a possibility and I think grammatically it can be correct

A similar computer tool from the Google company is "Ngrams". It searches for a sequence of words (in that order) in all published books. It find it very useful sometimes.

Here is an Ngram comparing "today we decided" with "today decided we". It found zero examples of "today decided we":

Google Books Ngram Viewer
    What does that graph show exactly? I saw it but I don't understand

"Oh", said he,"I see we have a traitor in our ranks". It's historical diction.
    So you mean that it can be a possibility for that inversion?

Chasint

English - England
    Could you put this sentence on Google and see the results? "today decided we"
    Rather than ask us to Google, we need you to find some examples. Then we can comment. As Uncle Jack says, the combination of words, "today decided we", is possible. For example, "We decided we would go", meaning, "We decided that we would go".

However, I suggest you search instead for, " "today decided we to". That won't get you any actual results - just near-misses.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The topic question concerning 'today decided we to' has been answered.
    This thread is closed.

If you want to ask about a sentence that you have written based on a sentence you have seen, start another thread to ask about it. Include the complete sentence you are basing it on, along with its source. Please don't ask people to search the Internet to find the supporting examples you have in mind.

Cagey,

Status
    Not open for further replies.