Decir de Memoria

Jimenapal05

Español
I need to translate the title of an article. In Spanish, it's "Decir de Memoria".
I am not sure if translate it as:

Say by heart
Saying by heart

Is it correct to translate a title as a bare infinitive? In some way, I feel that the -ing version loses the strength it has in Spanish

Thank you for your help.

• Jimenapal05

Español
    Jektor thanks for your suggestions.

It's the title of a text about someone that tells an experience about state terrorism in Argentina.
    It is not a written testimony but an oral account; that's why I choose "by heart" instead of memory.
    My doubt is if it is correct to start a sentence with "say", or if it should be "saying".

elprofe

Spanish (Spain)
    Jektor thanks for your suggestions.

It's the title of a text about someone that tells an experience about state terrorism in Argentina.
    It is not a written testimony but an oral account; that's why I choose "by heart" instead of memory.
    My doubt is if it is correct to start a sentence with "say", or if it should be "saying".
    No me gusta el título "decir de memoria" con el infinitivo
    En este caso, "de memoria" equivale a "from memory", no "by heart"
    Me gusta el "as I remember it" que propone @Jektor

Jimenapal05

Español
    gracias @elprofe por tu sugerencia.

Mi clienta me pidió específicamente no usar la palabra "memory", xq el texto habla de las "marchas por la memoria" ligadas a la dictadura y quiere marcar la diferencia entre la memoria como concepto y saber o decir algo aprendido de memoria.

Jektor

English (UK)
    Learn or know something "by heart" means that you have made the effort to sit down and learn something - "I learned the poem by heart".
    I don't think that is what you mean here.
    > #5: "Mi clienta me pidió específicamente no usar la palabra "memory".
    If your client is not too worried about a literal translation from the Spanish, I suggest something more general:
    "As I Remember It" is a good general title for an article, or even for a book, and conveys the sense of what the article is about:
    goodreads.com - as-I-remember-it
    or:
    "I Was There"
    "Voices/Cries From The Past"
    etc.

Last edited: