deck chair / chaise long

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Hi, all!

I am doing a translation about decoration and architecture.

My doubt is about the use of the words deck chair / chaise long when referring to those chairs that are around a swimming pool, on which people lie back to sunbathe.

Is there another specific word?

Can I use the above mentioned? If so, is there a difference (formal X informal; AmE X BrE?)

Thank you all!
  • ralife

    Senior Member
    Thanks, Loob.
    What I was looking for is exactly lounger / sun-lounger.

    You've helped me a lot!!!!!


    Senior Member
    English - US
    It is not unusual in American English for what Loob has linked as a lounger to becalled a chaise or a chaise lounge (yes, we say lounge not longue even though longue is the original form).


    Senior Member
    English UK
    Do AmE speakers also say [sun-]lounger, Myridon, or do they only say chaise lounge?
    < Previous | Next >