declinar/declinación (arquitectura)

joeysgirl

English - US
I'm translating an academic article from Peninsular Spanish to American English on the history of architecture in medieval/early modern Spain. The author has used the term declinar (and its derivative declinación) several times, clearly with some meaning other than the normal ones, and I cannot find any kind of architectural glossaries that offer me any hints as to how to interpret this word.

Here are the contexts where it's been used so far, and my attempts to interpret:

desde la importación de los nuevos artífices franceses en el siglo XIII que importaron los modos góticos de l’Île-de-France, los castellanos fueron todavía más conscientes de la disparidad material y técnica con que se podían declinar los edificios religiosos o civiles

since the importation in the 13th century of the new French stoneworkers who brought with them the Gothic styles of l’Île-de-France, the Castilians were ever more aware of the material and technical disparity with which they could **declinar** the religious or civil buildings.
(I thought perhaps "design", but that doesn't really seem to fit either.)

Los entalladores franceses, que tantas veces llegaron a diseñar arquitecturas ... multiplicaron las opciones de una declinación “al romano”

The French sculptors ..., who so often also designed architectural plans, multiplied the options of a Roman-style **declinación**.

Any help much appreciated!

• Trestle

Español
    DECLINAR

4. intr. Inclinarse hacia abajo o hacia un lado u otro.

they could tilt the religions or civil buildings downwards ?

gengo

American English
    I cannot find any kind of architectural glossaries that offer me any hints as to how to interpret this word.
    DECLINATION
    the angle which the planes of the wall and the soffits of the mutules of the Doric Order make with each other. All true Greek Doric mutules are inclined.

desde la importación de los nuevos artífices franceses en el siglo XIII que importaron los modos góticos de l’Île-de-France, los castellanos fueron todavía más conscientes de la disparidad material y técnica con que se podían declinar los edificios religiosos o civiles

since the importation in the 13th century of the new French stoneworkers who brought with them the Gothic styles of l’Île-de-France, the Castilians were ever more aware of the material and technical disparity with which they could **declinar** the religious or civil buildings.
    The only definition of declinar in the DRAE that seems to be related is this:

5. intr. Decaer, menguar, ir perdiendo en salud, inteligencia, riqueza, lozanía, etc.

If that is the case, then I wonder if the subject of "se podían" is not los castellanos but los edificios, as follows.

Since the importation in the 13th century of the new French stoneworkers who brought with them the Gothic styles of l’Île-de-France, the Castilians were even more aware of the disparity in materials and techniques that could lead to a decline in the [quality of] religious or civic buildings.

I'll let you decide if that fits your overall context.

joeysgirl

English - US
    Thanks, Gengo. After much digging and consulting as far and wide as I could, here's what I finally decided on:

...the Castilians were ever more aware of the material and technical differences with which they could inflect the religious or civil buildings.

Makes a whole lot more sense now...

< Previous | Next >