Dedication advice

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Aran J., Oct 20, 2016.

1. Aran J. Member

Kurdish - Kurdistan
    Hi all,

I want to dedicate a writing to someone, I have it as such:

Name Name (1846 - 1917)
    Now resting at (Burial Site) in the revolutionary city of (Name of City)

I want to stress on the burial site and thats why I have mentioned it. Is (Now resting) and (in the revolutionary city of) a correct way of saying it?

Thanks

2. jmichaelm Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English - US
    Dedications to the deceased often read "In memory of <name>" or simply "For <name>"

In my opinion the rest of the dedication is personal and therefore there is no specific way to convey what you wish to say. What you have written clearly expresses the burial location. It's not a full English sentence. I don't know if that's important to you in this situation.

3. Aran J. Member

Kurdish - Kurdistan
    Thanks for that. Wouldnt you say in memory of is to someone who you have experience with? in my case as it is to my ancestor it is a bit detached. I am mostly concerned with the grammar and whether "Now resting" and "in the revolutionary city of" are correct ways of writing.

4. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    Personally, I don't like euphemisms like 'resting', 'fell asleep', 'passed over' and so on. I prefer the plain 'died'. And in your OP, I would prefer simply 'buried'.

'In the revolutionary city of X' sounds strange in BE. We don't have 'revolutionary cities here. I would keep it simple and say 'Buried in X'.