Dedication or dedications

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mekman99, May 2, 2016.

1. mekman99

mekman99 Senior Member

Berber
    Should I write dedication or dedications in my dissertation if I dedicate my work to more than one person?

Context: Dedication or dedications is written as a heading alone, then below: I dedicate this work to....

Thank you in advance !

2. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Use "dedication," or, probably better, no heading at all. What do you see when you look at other books with dedications?

3. mekman99

mekman99 Senior Member

Berber
    Peter Master, a phD in linguistics from California University wrote in his dissertation: dedication, without "s". He wrote: "I dedicate this dissertation to Dr. ......., and to my friend.....for his unflagging support."

4. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Of course; it would never be "dedications". I meant, I think you'll find that in the majority of published books (I do not include Ph.D. dissertations) it is not necessary to use any heading at all. When you have an otherwise blank page at the beginning of the book with a text like "To Professor Jones, who showed me that philosophy did not end with Kant, and my loving wife, whose patience is eternal," what else could possibly be but a dedication?

5. mekman99

mekman99 Senior Member

Berber
    Thank you Glenfarclas, I agree with you 100%. I would also write directly: to my wife...to my friend.... without the heading "dedication", but since it's the convention in my university, I should abide by their rules. I found other native speakers' disserations, and it's also without "s". The ones who wrote it with "s" are not natives. So I think I'll choose dedication. Thank you again Glenfarclas !