dedication : to "somebody" by?from? "someone else"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by zaz63, Dec 18, 2015.

1. zaz63 New Member

français - france
    Hello,

I would like engraving an object for someone important, but it seems I have several choices.
    For the beginning I could write 'for' or 'to', for example 'for my love' or 'to my love'. In french, I think the difference can be translated by 'pour' et 'à', is that correct?

My question is for the second part, can I use 'by'? Like for example in 'by your sugar'. Or should I use 'from', as in 'from your sugar'.
    So, the sentence could it be : to my love by your sugar? And, if 'by' is correct, what is the difference between by and from?

Another question, does the syntax work if I use 'a' and not 'my' and 'your', like in 'to a lovebird by a sweetheart'?

I thank you in advance,
    (and thank you for all the debate in this forum which are very helpful!)

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    My opinion: Use "To" and "From" – they're classics.

I have my father's silver bracelet that my mother gave him just before he sailed off to war in 1942. Inscribed on the back side is "To my one and only" (and his serial number). :) There is no "From" because he knew who it was from.

Make your inscription timeless, which for some people might exclude cutesy names. :p

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  3. zaz63 New Member

français - france
    Thank you very much for your advice :)
    Deliberately, I don't write here our real nicknames because it's a surprise and I'm afraid he could see this post (paranoïd? me? no :rolleyes: ). I think there are not cutesy, I hope^^

Have you an opinion about 'a' in the sentence instead of possessive adjectives? Because I do not feel confortable with the idea to "possess" a person.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You can use "a" if you like. While it can seem slightly impersonal, the gift, along with the person's knowledge of who it's from and why, could overcome that concern.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. zaz63 New Member

français - france
    Thank you for the answer.
    I wish you happy holidays :)