deef cricket

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us -- in this thread, and not via a link -- the sentence in your source that uses the phrase, and provide some context for it.

Florentia52, moderator

bennymix

Backyard cricket, street cricket, beach cricket, gully cricket, corridor cricket, deef or garden cricket is an informal ad hoc variant of the game of cricket, played by people of all genders and all ages in gardens, back yards, on the street, in parks, carparks, beaches and any area not specifically intended for the purpose.
    {Wiki}

With all due respect, Julian, there are instance such as below on the 'net.

South Africa - Andraos - John Gugill's Cricket Bonanza

DEEF EXPERIENCE: Despite having been out of deef cricket for a while now due to a pelvis injury, he has been training religiously and should be fighting fit for the Deef tournament.

==
    Two sentences now given.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Backyard cricket, street cricket, beach cricket, gully cricket, corridor cricket, deef or garden cricket is an informal ad hoc variant of the game of cricket, played by people of all genders and all ages in gardens, back yards, on the street, in parks, carparks, beaches and any area not specifically intended for the purpose.
    {Wiki}

With all due respect, Julian, there are instance such as below on the 'net.

South Africa - Andraos - John Gugill's Cricket Bonanza

DEEF EXPERIENCE: Despite having been out of deef cricket for a while now due to a pelvis injury, he has been training religiously and should be fighting fit for ...
    No respect needed, I didn't say the word didn't exist:) The OP already cited the wiki article and I read the first sentence, so it was clear it exists. Thus we illustrate the distinction between the 'net (where anything can be found) and the world of edited books and journals (the Ngrams database I cited).

Myridon

English - US
    There are 49 hits in all of Google. If you remove hits for "Kamoke Deef Cricket Teem" (yes, team with two "e"s) there are only 19. Hardly seems worthy of being mentioned "ecyclopedically."

ManOfWords

Português [Brasil]
    cricket : an insect related to the grasshoppers. The male produces a characteristic rhythmical chirping sound.

deef meaning deaf, so ... a cricket (game) that makes no sound, a deef cricket ... could it be a ''play on words''?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    cricket : an insect related to the grasshoppers. The male produces a characteristic rhythmical chirping sound.

deef meaning deaf, so ... a cricket (game) that makes no sound, a deef cricket ... could it be a ''play on words''?
    You will need to ask someone (who speaks Hindi, perhaps) or someone from India who plays cricket and uses this word to find a good answer.

lingobingo

English - England
    See post under the YouTube video “Galli Cricket”. It begins:
    Backyard cricket, street cricket, beach cricket, gully cricket, corridor cricket, deef (Hindi: गली, galli = "alley") or garden cricket is an informal ad hoc variant of the game of cricket, played by people of both genders and all ages in gardens, back yards, on the street, in parks, carparks, beaches and any area not specifically intended for the purpose.

Barque

Tamil
    I have never heard the term and I have followed cricket from childhood and I like to think I know a lot about it.

The Hindi word gali is pronounced very like the English gully and might have been derived from it, as it means "alley" or "(narrow) side street".

Deef is possibly an Afrikaans word. Cricket is played in South Africa. I see post #4 refers to what seems to be a South African article that uses the word.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >