deem v. consider v. believe v. suppose

hhtt

Turkish
Original: "He did not even deem it necessary to apologize."

Which of the followings has the same meaning as the original?

1) He did not even think it necessary to apologize

2) He did not even consider it necessary to apologize

3) He did not even believe it necessary to apologize

4) He did not even suppose it necessary to apologize.

Source: Oxford Word Power Dictionary and self-made.

Thank you.

• Truffula

English - USA
    All of the listed sentences have roughly the same meaning. I think number 2, "consider," has the closest to identical meaning, as "deem" usually means the person has (completely) evaluated the matter and "consider" that the person has been evaluating the matter (in progress). The differences are subtle and, overall, don't change the sentence's interpretation.

hhtt

Turkish
    1st seems the best to me so would you like to give an explanation on comparison of "think v. consider" for this situation.

Thank you

The differences are subtle, but "consider" comes nearest to the meaning of "deem".
    If you look up the dictionary definitions of "deem", "consider" and "judge" frequently appear.
    Deem comes from the Old English word, deman — meaning "act as a judge."
    A judgement has been made after due consideration.
    There has been some "weighing up" of the evidence here - some consideration of the arguments.

hhtt

Turkish
    For this situation and context can we say that consider is formal, but think and deem is not? I thought so because "consider" is usually used in academic books.

Thank you.

Truffula

English - USA
    No. Consider is more formal than think in this particular context, but deem is at least as formal as consider. Also, there are many times "consider it necessary" is used outside academic contexts - the phrase is used in non-academic written works such as fiction, news reporting, Bible translations, legal documents... (not a complete list :) )

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >