deep freezer vs. freezer vs. deep freeze

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lolot135e, May 5, 2010.

  1. lolot135e Member


    I wrote an essay on one of Nadine Gordimer's short story and had to provide a note on the text edition. In the edition of the text I chose as the most authoritative one, the word "deep-freeze" is used. It is a editions that was published in the UK. In another version, the word deep-freeze is used (US publisher. I know that the word freezer also exists. Would it be possible that the word deep-freeze is used in the UK while they use deep-freezer in the US? And where is the word freeze (without "deep") used?

    Thank you very much!
  2. Bevj

    Bevj Allegra Moderata

    Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    From the BrE viewpoint, I have only ever said 'freezer'. My mother says 'freezer', my dad says 'deep-freeze'. I've never heard 'deep-freezer'.
  3. AmEStudent

    AmEStudent Senior Member

    Italian/Albanian - bilingual
    Oxford's New American dictionary says "deep freeze noun (also deep freezer)". Merriam Webster's doesn't have any problem with the former either, WordWeb accepts both forms. It's a genericized form of the DeepFreeze trademark, so there shouldn't be any differences between UK and US usage, though perhaps the second form is more common in the US.
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  4. Copyright

    Copyright Senior Member

    American English
    Like Bevj, I've not heard of deep-freezer. My grandparents referred to the chest-type freezer in their garage as the deep-freeze.
  5. Water freezes at 0 deg C. Frozen food must be kept at -18 deg or less.

    Nowadays this is common knowledge, so freezer is the preferred name for the appliance.

    In the early days of food freezing this much colder temperature was known as deep-freeze, so many older people may still be in the habit of using the term.


Share This Page