default cases?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

I'm reading a hard copy article about TB infection treatment. The writer asked:

Which is not criteria for the TB treatment regimen of category 1 in children? 3 answers to choose:

1. TB/HIV patients
  2. Return after default cases
  3. Extra pulmonary TB, severe form
What does the default cases here mean?

Thanks

• Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi ewie. No there's no link to it. As I saide, it's hard copy. I typed the words.

I think maybe I put my question wrong. I'm still thinking about it and I guess my question that is proper should be asked like this : What does the compound adjective Return after default mean? as I guess the whole compound adjective must give meaning to the noun cases here.

Maybe I need to type more to add more context to you. Please see more my typing below..

1. Which is NOT criteria for the TB treatment regimen of category 1 in children:
      1. Return after default cases
      2. New smear positive pulmonary TB
      3. Extra pulmonary TB, severe form
      4. TB/HIV patients
      5. Smear negative pulmonary TB
    2. Which is NOT criteria for the TB treatment regimen of category 2 in children:
      1. Relapse cases
      2. TB/HIV patients
      3. Failure cases
      4. Return after default cases
      5. Others
    3. Which is NOT criteria for the TB treatment regimen of category 3 in children:
      1. Smear negative pulmonary TB, non-severe form
      2. Extra-pulmonary TB, non-severe form
      3. TB meningitis
      4. Osteoarticular TB
      5. c, d are correct

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    What does the default cases here mean?
    'Patient default' or 'default cases' are cases in which patients drop out of TB treatment before the treatment is completed. WHO defines default as a treatment interruption of two consecutive months or more. (As you know this is a problem as it leads to an increase in TB organisms which are resistant to multiple drugs…in addition to treatment failure in the individual patient)

This page has additional definitions of terms pertaining to TB and its treatment: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/2008/table_a2_1/en/index.html

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Whoever wrote this made at least one more error, aside from using very awkward phrasing. "Criteria" is plural, but "is" is singular. If multiple answers are allowed, it should read "Which are not criteria ...?" If only one answer is allowed, it should be "Which is not a criterion ...?" (Note that the article "a" is required here. "Criterion" is a countable noun.)