default on

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi, friends.
Say, there is an employer. His company have run out of business. He had to close it down.
But he is still owing his employee several months' salary.
He didn't flee. His employee still can contact him.
But he always just says, "I am trying to find a way, I just have found it yet and I don't have money now. I need more time".

In this case, can I say this person is defaulting on his employees' salaries?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I think you meant, "I am trying to find a way, I just haven't found it yet . . . ".

In answer to your question: This is perhaps a legal question, but I think you can say that he has defaulted on his obligation to pay his employees' salaries (as opposed to defaulting on the salaries).

I think we have a lawyer or two in the forum who can comment on this.

-mack-

American English
    I would agree with Paula. Default is more of a financial/legal term and would probably be answered best by someone with legal knowledge. It generally means failed to pay a debt/something owed as agreed, but as far as precision of the term, that's more of a legal question.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I think you meant, "I am trying to find a way, I just haven't found it yet . . . ".

In answer to your question: This is perhaps a legal question, but I think you can say that he has defaulted on his obligation to pay his employees' salaries (as opposed to defaulting on the salaries).

I think we have a lawyer or two in the forum who can comment on this.
    Thanks. I want to know if "default" means they will never pay.
    I searched "default" on google, I saw "I default on my student loan".
    Does it mean, I am not going to pay back my loan or I will pay it in the future ?

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    I would agree with Paula. Default is more of a financial/legal term and would probably be answered best by someone with legal knowledge. It generally means failed to pay a debt/something owed as agreed, but as far as precision of the term, that's more of a legal question.
    After googling "default" more, I think it roughly means you enter a legal state which enables people to suit you
    rather than just like owing some money.