Default/Unknown Equivalence

< Previous | Next >

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello,folks.

I need an English adjective that describes a word that is existent but I didn't remember during translation.
For example, if translated the word A to B and the C is the precise equivalent but I didnt recall.
How would you call C ?
A default equivalence
An unknown equivalence
An absent equivalence

Thank you in advance

• ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Ok, thanks a lot.

How can I describe C then?
    I want to mention that the exact equivalence is existent but didn't come to my mind.
    May I say :
    C slipped my mind; thus, C is an absent/default/alternative/forgotten equivalent?

heypresto

English - England
    No, I don't think 'absent equivalent' makes much sense. It doesn't really mean anything.

All you can say about C is that you forgot it. I don't think there is a term for a forgotten word.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No. You cannot: "C is an absent/default/alternative/forgotten equivalent" sounds as if it should mean something, but it does not. "default/alternative/" are both inapplicable and I cannot see how they would qualify "equivalent".

The word is both absent and forgotten but again I cannot see how these adjectives would qualify "equivalent".

Let's say you are translating the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam:

"A Book of Verses underneath the [غصن],
    A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
    ..."

and you cannot recall the English word required at [غصن]. You can write out the whole translation and then add at the end: "At the moment, I cannot think of the precise English word for [غصن] but it means a large tree branch.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thanks a lot for all.
    A friend of mine suggested three versions:
    neglected equivalence
    blank equivalence
    anonymous equivalence

I am for the first choice..

< Previous | Next >