Discussion in 'English Only' started by ManOfWords, May 21, 2018.

1. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    One of its meanings is: the preset selection of an option offered by a system, which will always be followed except when explicitly altered.

That's what I see when using a pc, but, why? does not seem to fit its meanings ...
    1. a failure to act, esp a failure to meet a financial obligation or to appear in a court of law at a time specified
    2. absence or lack
    etc etc ... so to use a video player by default ... ?? :confused: I don't get it ... please some light on it for me .. thanks

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This shouldn't be too hard to figure out, MOW. If the machine doesn't receive any other instructions, it automatically "defaults" to a pre-programmed option. I suppose the people who first started using "default" this way were thinking of the "absence or lack" of some other instruction from the user.

In today's world, one that is so dependent on machines to function normally, some words take on new meanings as engineers borrow words from the dictionary in their efforts to communicate with the people who use their inventions.

3. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    I still don't get .. I mean more or less the idea, but the use of the word ... 'default video player' .. what is the idea? What could be the best synonym there? in the 'default' place ... :confused:

4. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    How would it be used daily? (with that sense I am in trouble with) so that I can get a better idea ...

5. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I don't use "default" daily, weekly, or even monthly. So I can't give you any idea about how to do that.

You seem greatly troubled by the phrase "to use a video player by default". To me, that can only mean that you use the video player because you lack something else that you could use instead if you had it.

6. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    I got the idea, :oops: ... by the way, can I say I am in default of vocabulary? in default of can be used in any circumstances?

7. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    No word or phrase can be used in any circumstances, MOW. I mostly read "default" in instruction manuals. Unless you're an engineer or some kind of technician, you probably don't have any great need to use the word in your own life. I sure don't.

Rather than saying "I am in default of vocabulary", I'd say "I don't know enough words in that language to express myself well."

8. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    Thanks, it's just that I'm a word buff ... and just like to learn how 'far' a word can/could be used ... ;)

9. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Your definitions of default evidently come from Collins Dictionary, but where did this weird phrase come from?

10. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    I thought that is how it would be said ... :oops::oops::oops::(:(:( if I set a default video player, don't I use it by default?? see?! I don't know how to use it naturally yet ... should I say use it in default mode?

11. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    What is a “default video player”? Where did you find that phrase?

12. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Your new formulation is correct. We don't :cross:use a video player by default, we say something like using the video player in its default mode, or on its default settings. This would be perhaps if you just pressed 'record' and didn't set things like timers.

The computer meaning appears to have arisen like this. 'Default' meant a failure to do something you should do. So you could lose your house 'by default' if you didn't make the payments you needed to make. Then you could lose a court case or a sports match 'by default' by not showing up when you were supposed to. Then this was generalized to something happening because no other alternative had been specified. For example, winning an election by default if there are no other candidates. (No-one has done anything wrong in this situation; there is just a lack of choice.)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  13. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Default is used in various ways, all of which are connected with the concept of a lack of action, a failure to do something. To say that something was done “by default” is similar to saying it was done “by accident”. In other words, it only happened because nobody did anything to stop it.

The word is also used in certain legal contexts. For example, if you’ve entered into an arrangement to make regular repayments on a sum of money you’ve borrowed, stopping those payments would be to default on that loan.

——————

The computer/technology angle is rather different. When you buy a device such as a computer, tablet or smartphone, it is preset to operate in a certain way — according to its default settings, often called factory settings. That default mode stays in operation if you do nothing to change/personalise those settings.

slowly cross-posted with entangledbank's edit :)

14. ManOfWords

ManOfWords Senior Member

Português [Brasil]
    Thanks everyone! ;):thumbsup: