Defective pod

liberal lilac

Korean
Hi, I have another question from Gilmore Girls S01 E07.
I'll put some part of its transcript here. (http://www.gilmoregirls.org/eguide/transcripts/episode7.html)

TAYLOR: You have lived in Stars Hollow for a long time, young man. It's time
you became one of us.
(Lorelai waves money to get Luke's attention.)
LORELAI: Whoo!
LUKE: Sorry, I guess my pod's defective.

<<Excessive quotation deleted.>>

In here, does "pod" mean coffee beans?
If so, I'm not sure why Luke says the last sentence.
I guess he is being sarcastic, but I don't know exactly.
Please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Biffo

English - England
    I'm not convinced by the link that SwissPete has found. However I think the one thing it doesn't refer to is coffee!

I suspect from the context "It's time you became one of us." that it could refer to the following:

14.Pod6 up, 35 down
    A group of friends who spend a lot of time together to the extent they almost live together. Generally have lots of inside jokes and can tell you where one of the members is at any time of the day.
    "Those guys are a pretty tight pod."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pod&page=2

They want Luke to join their 'pod' and leave his existing group of friends.

Beyond that I think we could all end up guessing. I suggest we wait for someone who lives in or around that area and can say for certain.

Last edited:

pob14

American English
    Not sure what area you're waiting for, but I do note that there are far more "down" votes than "up" votes for that Urban Dictionary definition. And he's not saying their pod is defective, he's saying his is.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the first thing I think of when I hear "pod" in many contexts, and it was the first thing I thought of here. In that film, people are replaced by copies generated from "pods." The "pod people" repeatedly assure the others how much happier they are now that they've joined the group (as soulless automatons), and encourage the holdouts to become "one of us."

I'm pretty well certain that this is a Body Snatchers reference.

Myridon

English - US
    I'm quite sure it's a reference to Invasion of the Body Snatchers as well. Gilmore Girls is famous for its pop-culture references.

Biffo

English - England
    Not sure what area you're waiting for, but I do note that there are far more "down" votes than "up" votes for that Urban Dictionary definition. And he's not saying their pod is defective, he's saying his is.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the first thing I think of when I hear "pod" in many contexts, and it was the first thing I thought of here. In that film, people are replaced by copies generated from "pods." The "pod people" repeatedly assure the others how much happier they are now that they've joined the group (as soulless automatons), and encourage the holdouts to become "one of us."

I'm pretty well certain that this is a Body Snatchers reference.
    I did in fact take it that he was saying his own pod was defective but in an ironic manner. I suppose the Urban Dictionary entry could result from a generalisation of the idea from the film. However I'm not terribly attached to my post being correct. It was just an attempt at an answer based on the context given.

Your explanation is a good one - thanks.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >