defender una tesis

< Previous | Next >

SR12

Spain, Spanish
Hola, ¿Could you please check my traslation and correct my mistakes? This is for a formal letter.

En este momento, estoy trabajando en mi tesis doctoral que versará sobre prácticas de crianza y que defenderé el próximo año. Estoy entusiasmado con este proyecto de investigación que comencé cuando estuve visitándole hace un año.
Mi intento: At the moment, I am working in my doctoral dissertation which will be about parenting and that I will defend the next year. I am very exciting about this research project, which I started when I visit you about one year ago.

Thank you very much in advance!

• Ppja

Andalusia, Spain; Castellano
    Right now, I am working in my Ph. degree dissertation wich treat about parenting, it will be defended next year. I am very exciting about this research project, which I started when I visited you about one year ago.

Es mi deportivo intento, pero seguro que mejorable...

kayokid

English, USA
    Hello. Here is my version with suggestions:

At present/Presently I am working on my doctoral thesis/dissertation which will be on Parenting. I will defend it next year. I am very excited about this research project, which I started when I visited you about/approximately one year ago.

Hope this helps.

Metzaka

Oz
    "Mexican Spanish"
    Hola, ¿Could you please check my traslation and correct my mistakes? This is for a formal letter.

En este momento, estoy trabajando en mi tesis doctoral que versará sobre prácticas de crianza y que defenderé el próximo año. Estoy entusiasmado con este proyecto de investigación que comencé cuando estuve visitándole hace un año.
    Mi intento: At the moment, I am working in on my doctoral dissertation which will be about deal with parenting practices and that which I will defend the next year. I am very exciteding about this research project, which I started when I visited you about one year ago. (about=alrededor)

Espero que recibas más y mejores opiniones.
    Nota: hay muchos 'which', pero así es la versión en Español. El último podría ser cambiado por 'that'
    Saludos

Txiri

USA English

Mi intento: At the moment present I am working in on my doctoral dissertation which will be about focuses on parenting practices and that I which I am scheduled to will defend the next year. I am very exciting about this research project, which I started this research project when I visited you about one a year ago, and I am still very excited and enthusiastic about it.
    Explanation: the language humorist James Thurber once cautioned, ¨one which calls for two, and two whiches multiply like rabbits.¨ The rewriting of the ¨excited about project sentence¨ was to get rid of the third which.

If you´re finishing the dissertation next year, don´t write about it now in the future, it sounds like you haven´t started yet.

Finally, hace un año: a year ago, not about a year ago, there´s nothing indefinite in the original phrase

Carrie2

English, UK
    Surely we don't say 'defend a thesis' in English? I've certainly never heard it. In British English we say 'to submit a thesis'. Is this a difference between British English and American English?

Txiri

USA English
    Perhaps you can elaborate on the procedure in Britain?

In the USA, you have a major professor or dissertation (thesis) director. You hand in chapters to him or her for feedback, correction, etc. When all the writing and revising is done, the thesis or dissertation is handed in to the committee.

The committee then reads it, and if things look in order, the student then defends the research project. At the defense, the student takes questions from the committee about whatever they feel like asking: research methodology, what other subject materials might be handled with the research methodology, blah blah blah.

The defense in the USA is NOT the same as submitting it.

Carrie2

English, UK
    Thanks; Txiri. As far as I know, the procedure is the same in the UK as you've described for the US. On the other hand, I've never written a postgraduate thesis, which could also be the reason I haven't come across the expression 'defend a thesis', I suppose. We really need a British person who has written a postgraduate thesis to comment!

< Previous | Next >