novice_81

German
Hi

Women draw attention to themselves when they have a shapely lower
body. Secondary to a defined décolletage, toned buttocks and legs
ante up the sexiness factor a great notch. Sexy legs look fabulous in
pants, shorts and skirts ...
(100 Bodybuilding Tips/Nicole Adam)

Does it mean "low neck"? So low necks aren't so appealing as toned buttocks and legs ...

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    It means a low neckline, that emphasises the breasts.

You've go it backwards. The text says that a defined décolletage is the primary means, and buttocks etc are means which are secondary to that.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I think since it's talking about bodybuilding, the 'defined décolletage' means the body itself, rather than the neckline showing it off. It's presumably a euphemism for breasts. Other than that, I agree, the décolletage is primary and the rest secondary to your 'sexiness factor'.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    In bodybuilding, "definition" has a specific, er, definition. It is the ability to see the outlines of the individual muscles, and even of individual muscle fibers ("striations"), mostly from a thin or practically non-existent subcutaneous fat layer. A "defined" muscle is one whose outline and striations can be clearly differentiated from other muscles.

A "defined decolletage" thus probably refers to the separate between the two pectoral muscles. If the "pecs," wide muscles on the upper chest just below the collar bone, are thick, there is a sharp valley between them, extending much higher than the "cleavage" between the breasts. A person with thin or shallow pectorals and an average subcutaneous fat layer will have a smooth chest with no sharp cleavage.

Such a "defined decolletage" will only be visible, of course, if it is not covered by clothing.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    A "defined decolletage" thus probably refers to the separate between the two pectoral muscles. If the "pecs," wide muscles on the upper chest just below the collar bone, are thick, there is a sharp valley between them, extending much higher than the "cleavage" between the breasts. A person with thin or shallow pectorals and an average subcutaneous fat layer will have a smooth chest with no sharp cleavage.

Such a "defined decolletage" will only be visible, of course, if it is not covered by clothing.
    Does that go for women as well? I did wonder whether décolletage might be used in the more traditional sense of the collarbone/neck/shoulder area here, but not being au fait with bodybuilding, I wasn't sure how defined the pecs get in women.

< Previous | Next >